The device provides a realistic sense of hot and cold in the missing “phantom” hand by delivering thermal information to nerve areas on the amputee’s residual limb that the brain believes are still connected to the missing hand.
In a First, a Prosthetic Limb Can Sense Temperature Like a Living Hand (www.smithsonianmag.com)
this post was submitted on 12 Feb 2024
228 points (99.6% liked)
51767 readers5240 users here now
This is a most excellent place for technology news and articles.
- Follow the lemmy.world rules.
- Only tech related content.
- Be excellent to each another!
- Mod approved content bots can post up to 10 articles per day.
- Threads asking for personal tech support may be deleted.
- Politics threads may be removed.
- No memes allowed as posts, OK to post as comments.
- Only approved bots from the list below, to ask if your bot can be added please contact us.
- Check for duplicates before posting, duplicates may be removed
founded 8 months agoMODERATORS